Home > Uncategorized > Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Court Matters that May Have Been Affected by Hurricane Sandy

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Court Matters that May Have Been Affected by Hurricane Sandy

                     Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Court Matters that May Have Been Affected by Hurricane Sandy

Q: What should I do if I have issues relating to scheduled juror service, either during the storm or relating to recovery from storm damage?
A: Contact the jury manager in your county.  There is contact information, including an email address, on your juror summons or you can get that information from the link provided above.

Q: Which courts have been relocated because of the storm?
A: A list of relocated courts can be found here. Please check this list daily for changes.

Q: Will I be penalized if I missed paying court-ordered fines during the storm?

A: If you have a problem with court payments that is directly related to the storm, call the municipal court in which your fine was issued or, if you are making payments directly through Probation Services, click here to find the number for your local probation office.

Q:  How will you notify me if I’ve been displaced?
A: Court notices are generated automatically based on information in the court’s databases. If you are no longer reachable at the last location in which you were doing business with the court, you can call the court and let them know how to reach you at your new address. Click here for the main number for your local Superior Court.

Q: Will you issue a bench warrant if you cannot get in touch with me?
A: The court has the discretion to issue a bench warrant for defendants who do not appear in court. The best thing to do is to contact the court in advance of your court date.  

Q: I was scheduled to appear in Family Court for a case but could not because of the storm What should I do?
A: Call the phone number on the bottom of your court notice or contact the family division in your county if you’ve lost your notice.

Q: I have a question about my child support. What should I do?
A; Call the child support hotline: 1-877-655-4371 (NJKiDS)

Q: How can I obtain a modification of my child support order?
A: That determination must be made by a judge. You can file a request for an adjustment using this form.

Q: What if I received a court notice but I have been displaced by the storm and am now  living in another county or in another state?
A: Call the court in the county where your case was scheduled and give them your new address.  The court will record the address change so that you will receive future notices.

Q: My lawyer is telling me that his or her office was damaged and my case files are destroyed. What should I do?
A: Attorneys and litigants whose case files have been lost can receive free replacement copies from the court. Click here to obtain a request form for lost court documents.

Q: I haven’t been able to get in touch with my lawyer since the storm. What should I do?
A: All attorneys are required to keep their address on file with the Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection. Check the online index of attorneys to see if your attorney has moved to a new location.

Q: What documents are acceptable if I want to file a New Jersey judgment in another jurisdiction and my original documents have been destroyed? Will copies be accepted?
A: It depends upon the requirements of the jurisdiction of filing; however the NJ Judiciary can provide a certified copy of any document that is on file with the court.

Q: If Public Access Reports have been destroyed, can I get them replaced free of charge?
A: No. Free replacements are available only for active case files.

Q: My evidence to support my motion or objection was destroyed. Will the court still allow me to file my motion or objection even without the exhibits?
A: You should attempt to get replacement copies of your exhibits prior to filing your motion or objection with the court. If you are not going to be able to obtain replacement copies prior to a filing deadline, call the court that you will be filing the motion or objection with. You may be able to provide a certification or alternative documentation instead depending on your individual circumstances.

Tax Court

Q: Is there anything I can do to get my property taxes reduced because of damage/destruction?  
A: If you are the owner of property with a building or other structure that suffered significant damage or destruction as a result of Hurricane Sandy,  N.J.S.A. 54:4-35.1 provides information regarding tax assessments in such circumstances. The statute requires the property owner to take action by Jan. 10, 2013.

Q: How can I get another copy of my Tax Court judgment or other case documents, since they were destroyed in the storm? 
A: Complete the document recovery request form and submit via a new dedicated email address RequestForRecordsDestroyedByHurricaneSandy.Mailbox@judiciary.state.nj.us.

Q: What if I cannot meet Tax Court deadlines or trial dates and require additional time? 
A: Contact the judge assigned to your case or the Tax Court Management Office at 609-292-6989.


Q: My notice of appeal , brief, motion answer or other document was due to the Appellate Division between Oct. 29, 2012 and Nov. 16, 2012. What should I do?
A: The chief justice’s Nov. 9, 2012 order treats the period of time from Oct. 29, 2012 to Nov. 16, 2012 the same as legal holidays. This means that your papers are due on Monday, Nov. 19, 2012. If you need more time to get your papers to the court, call the Appellate Division Clerk’s Office at 609-292-4822 for instructions on how to proceed or email AppellateInformation.Mailbox@judiciary.state.nj.us

Q: My case in the Appellate Division was scheduled for oral argument or a CASP conference between Oct. 29, 2012 and Nov.16, 2012. Will it be rescheduled?
A: If you have not already been notified of the rescheduled date, you will be notified shortly.

Q. I have lost all of the documents for a case I have coming up in court. What should I do?
A. If you have a pending case, you can get new copies of documents that have been filed with the court by filling out the document recovery request form and submitting it via a new dedicated email address, RequestForRecordsDestroyedByHurricaneSandy.Mailbox@judiciary.state.nj.us .



Categories: Uncategorized
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: